Sunday, June 13, 2010

Precious children


Well today has been one of the better ones I've had in quite some time. Filled with children's laughter and joy and good food and friends and memories. Started off with an early morning quiet time spent in Isaiah. So good that instead of reading one chapter as I usually do, it ended up being the first seven chapters of Isaiah! So good!! Not super encouraging or uplifting scripture, but very convicting. It kept repeating over and over "the eyes of the arrogant will be lowered, and the Lord will be exalted in that day." Sobering words for a selfish being such as myself. I made it my prayer for today and for this week to constantly look to uplift others and glorify GOD over anyone and anything else, and to humbly serve in all that I do.

(End scene)

Haha, wow, what a cheesy transition, I always struggle with transitions with these blogs. Anyway, well after a morning alone with the Lord I dropped off the painting I made for Brittni at her house and then I was off to the Dream Center to work in the nursery! I look forward to each time I get the opportunity to work with these precious children. Last time I was with the infants, but this week I was with the 2-3 year olds. I'm pretty sure Cindy has me working with them for the remainder of the summer. Even though I was utterly exhausted by the end of it, and reeked of so many different smells I couldn't even keep track of it, I was so uplifted and encouraged by my time with these precious children. They have so much joy and so much spunk and they love life so much, despite the fact that some of them might not get to eat that day, or don't have a pair of shoes to wear to church.

There was this one little boy today. His name was Quincy. 2 years old. The moment he walked in I could tell this kid had some attitude. He walked with a swagger and a strut to rival any 19 year old college kid who thinks he's untouchable. He came in with his sister, Quinmyer, 3 years old. He came in, sat at the table with Presley, grabbed the box of crayons right out from under her, and snatched the coloring book, too. Uh-oh. No good. No good at all.

Quincy had attitude. He hit me. He called me names. He didn't behave. He climbed on the baby gate. He threw toys. He cried. He peed himself. He wouldn't go potty without a buddy. He refused to eat his breakfast. He climbed on shelves. Quincy had attitude. And boy did he stretch my patience. So many times I was like, "what am I going to do with this kid?"

But towards the end of the 3 1/2 hours that I get to spend with these kids each week, they all started settling down. All but Quincy. So I decided to pull out my camera. And boy did he start flashing that million dollar smile. In an instant it was like he turned into this angelic little bundle of joy who smiled and laughed and enjoyed everything about the people around him. This was a perfect reminder that there's more to people, and more to children, than meets the eye. God's creation is so precious. And so beautiful. Treasure it.


No comments:

Post a Comment