Friday, June 18, 2010

No pictures today...just a blog

Well, considering my main focus is film photography right now, and most of my pictures are drying right now, I don't have pictures to share. Just a blog. Of my thoughts. And I don't have many followers, so I feel like I'm just writing to cyberspace. Who knows? This blog could blow up and become the biggest thing since sliced bread. Dream big. Go big or go home, right?

Anyway, well today has been good. Slept in (till 9am... yay!), and enjoyed some breakfast and some USA World Cup action at New York Bagel. Around lunchtime I came up to the school to get some darkroom work done. I forgot my canned air... typical. So none of these prints will be final print material, but they were worth the practice and the experience, and I can have all the notes so I can print tomorrow, and actually get some quality stuff.

Here's some of my notes & thoughts from the three hours I spent in the dark room today.

Print #1- image specs: f/1.8 ss: 1/320 ISO: 400 BW
Photo of Syd up against the wall (hands on knees)
1 test strip @ 3 sec intervals @ f/11
-liked the 12 sec @ f/11... did that for first print (lots of fibers on the neg.--clean tomorrow)
(fairly successful all around... Shannon came in and said it was a little flat.... so up the filter from 2 to 2 1/2 or maybe 3... try tomorrow)

Print #2- image specs: f/1.8 ss: (?) ISO: 400 BW
Photo of Syd against the wall (close-up)
1 test strip @ 3 sec intervals @ f/11
-liked between 12 & 15 sec @ f/11... went w/ 13
(big spot/fibers on Syd's face... Shannon will teach on fixing that on Monday)

Print #3- image specs: f/1.8 ss: 320 ISO: 400 BW
Photo of Syd's shoes offset right
1 test strip @ 3 sec intervals @ f/11
-like 15 sec but a little dark, maybe 14? went w/ 14
-taken around 4pm--Shannon said to over expose a stop? a little flat? hmm... don't understand.
(love this photo... super sharp--maybe a little cliche though... we'll see)

Tom & Shannon came in around 3:30 to fix some of the enlargers so I got booted out... that's ok. This was really good practice. I'm fully enjoying film and darkroom work, it's making me appreciate photography as an art so much more. Hopefully I will get better and better as time goes on. Very much enjoyed this photo shoot I did yesterday with Syd. Just a big gray wall, Syd, and her ballet shoes. She was so gracious to help me out. Gonna miss living with this precious friend!

Well I guess now I'm off and out of the darkroom (those chemicals are getting to me... haha) and back to the apartment. Cook some dinner perhaps? Or maybe I'll grab my 50D (so sorry I've neglected you lately), and go for a drive. We'll see where the day takes me.

No comments:

Post a Comment